The map originally took place in a fictional European city with a canal going right through it. Signs present in the map identified the area as "Buchanan Canal Station". The canal was under renovation, and it is likely that the Terrorists were trying to sabotage the renovation and the Counter-Terrorists were supposed to prevent this from happening.
Canal was created by Erik Doescher when Gearbox Software was in charge of the development of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. The map was very prominently featured in the media and multiple screenshots were released throughout Gearbox's development of Condition Zero. Screenshots released in 2002 showed that there had been some quite major improvements and changes in the textures and the skybox used for the map. In addition to screenshots, the map was also showcased in videos by GameSpot, GameStar, PC Games and PC Action. A scripted sequence showing Counter-Terrorists dragging wounded team members was also featured in the official trailer.
When Ritual Entertainment took over development of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, they continued working on the map. Changes done by Ritual included changing the trees from broad-leaved types to palm trees. In addition, lush forests seen in earlier versions of the map were completely removed. These changes may indicate that the setting of the map was no longer in Europe. There were plans to release the map for both Counter-Strike (Xbox) and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, but for unknown reasons the map was never released.
Coinciding with the Half-Life 2 leak, a version of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero was also leaked. This leak included a fully playable version of the map compiled for the Xbox version of the game.[n 1]
- ↑ The Adrenaline Vault | Featured Game : Condition Zero. Archived from the original on 2002-03-30.
- ↑ Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Information Vault - Josh Jeffcoat Interview.
- ↑ GameSpot - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Video Interview. (2002). [video]. CNET Networks, Inc.
- ↑ GameStar 04/02 - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero - Preview-Video. (2002). [video]. IDG Entertainment Verlag GmbH.
- ↑ PC Games 05/02 - Vorschau: Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. (2002). [video]. Computec Media GmbH.
- ↑ PC Action 04/02 - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. (2002). [video]. Computec Media GmbH.
- ↑ Counter-Strike Condition Zero - Gearbox Trailer
- ↑ Half.Life.Including.Condition.Zero.READ.NFO-ANON - Presence of czde_canal.wad and xde_canal.wad
- ↑ Half.Life.Including.Condition.Zero.READ.NFO-ANON - de_canal.bsp entity data reference to xde_canal.wad.
- ↑ The Xbox version of the game uses a different lightning system causing the map to appear darker than intended when played on the PC version.