- This article is about a hostage rescue map. For the Deleted Scenes single player mission, see Downed Pilot.
The map consist of a mountainous jungle region into which the aircraft has crashed. In addition there is a small village of sorts with a few buildings which can provide ample cover. The Terrorists base of operations and the location of the hostages is inside a mine.
Terrorists: Prevent Counter-Terrorist force from rescuing the hostages. Use whatever force needed.
Other Notes: There are 4 hostages in the mission. Rescue them!
The map was originally designed by Nick Coombe in 2001 when Gearbox Software was developing Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. It started off as a rocky/desert themed map. During early design, Nick decided to change the map into a jungle theme and gave the map the name cs_junglecamp. Nick left Gearbox in November 2001, thus the map would be further edited by other employees at the Gearbox.
When the map was handed over to Gearbox the name was changed since another map with the same name already existed. At around the same time the game mode was also changed from hostage rescue into bomb defusal. The map was given the new title de_enemymine.
When Ritual Entertainment took over development of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero in August 2002, they decided to develop the map further. Thearrel McKinney Jr. was the person in charge of further developments to the map. The largest change was returning the game mode back into the original hostage rescue mode and renaming the map yet another time, this time into cs_downed. A less drastic change was the removal of an intact twin-seater plane from one of the buildings which served the purpose of being a drug running plane in the original backstory. The map was also used as the base for the Deleted Scenes single player mission Downed Pilot.
Ritual Entertainment had plans for the map to make its initial appearance in Xbox version of the game. The official factions for the map were supposed to be SEAL Team 6 and the Guerilla Warfare and it was to make use of the pilot hostage model. For reasons unknown, the map was removed from the Xbox version before the game was finished.
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
- In the computer room where two of the hostages are kept, there are two screens that display the BBC news.
- The logo Nick Coombe had present on his website is still seen in the final version of Downed Pilot.
- This is one of the two Counter-Strike: Condition Zero exclusive maps, as the other is Sienna.
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Information Vault - Nick Coombe Interview.
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Information Vault - Josh Jeffcoat Interview.
- I have a question about the CS:GO levels. - Gaming Discussion - MapCore
- Several remnants exist on the game disc, including a map thumbnail.
- playermodels.txt on Counter-Strike (Xbox) game disc.