The primary missions of the Russian Spetsnaz are acquiring intelligence on major economic or military installations and either destroying them or putting them out of action, organizing acts of sabotage or subversion, carrying out punitive operation against rebels, and forming and training insurgency detachments.
Deleted Scenes Uniform
Spetsnaz wear a variety of uniforms depending on mission.
- Standard: Urban-camouflaged combat fatigues, with Russian sailor inner shirt and paired with a Kevlar Assault Suit with the word "Spetsnaz" in Russian written in the back.
- Desert: Desert-camouflaged fatigues with black Kevlar.
- Standard: Urban-camouflaged helmet with red star and wears black balaclava.
- Commander: Blue beret with Spetsnaz patch.
- Other operatives:
- Urban-camouflaged helmet without the balaclava.
- White helmet with balaclava.
The Spetsnaz appear in 3 missions:
A team of Spetsnaz operatives (with the player among them) are sent to a Soviet missile silo in order to decommission it and evacuate all personnel. Unfortunately, all of the personnel was killed and most of the team perished during this mission. Only the player and 2 other operatives escaped from the silo. They were later followed by a Hind which was quickly shot down by the player.
During the start, the Spetsnaz only gives order to the player. At mid-point, he is assisted in-combat and by radio communication. In the last part, they evacuate the player.
The player (who is again a Spetsnaz operative) is sent in solo into a Russian nuclear powered ship that is about to collide with a city. The player's mission is to stop the ship and eliminate any opposition on board. The Spetsnaz only assists the player via radio-communication.
A Spetsnaz team is sent to an oil pipeline in order to eliminate a Terrorist group and rescue the personnel. At the start of the mission, the player is accompanied by a squad. At mid-point, he is on his own then later, he and the hostages are escorted out by a Spetsnaz helicopter.
- The game file name for this player model is "spetsnaz".
- This model may be randomly chosen for the player in the Tour of Duty mode. Moreover, bots do not use this model in this mode but they may randomly choose it in multiplayer mode if they do not have a preferred model.
- In real life, Spetsnaz only use Russian-made weapons, such as the AK-47. In-game, they can freely purchase other weapons, such as the Maverick M4A1 Carbine.
- In Deleted Scenes, the Spetsnaz are never seen using the M4A1. Instead, they wield the AK-47, despite the rifle being Terrorist exclusive in-game.
- In real life, Spetsnaz is an umbrella term for all Russian special forces. Their in-game depiction seems to depict a generic Russian Counter-Terrorist special force instead of any one particular real life Counter-Terrorist forces.
- Spetsnaz at Wikipedia.