Survivor (de_survivor) is an official bomb defusal map.
Since de_Survivor contains open areas with hidden sniper spots (notably located in the bombsites), dark tunnels, environmental hazards and frustrating paths, it is one of the less popular bomb defusal maps.
Terrorist spawn is located on a small path, which leads to three routes:Upper ravine, lower ravine and Village. On the right side there is a frozen lake with a bridge over it. Counter-Terrorist spawn is a small cave with two exits leading to each bombsite.One bombsite is a truck, and the second one is a plane. The truck bombsite can be accessed from the Ravine, and it is a open area with very little cover aside from small walls and the truck itself. C4 can be planted inside the trailer,and there is a ladder leading to the top of that trailer. The plane bombsite is also located in a even more open clearing. C4 needs to be planted inside the fallen plane. This bombsite can be reached from the Village.
Ravine can be accessed either from the truck bombsite (Counter-Terrorists) or from the tunnels next to the small lake (Terrorists). Over the ravine there are two bridges, one of which breaks when stepped on. This upper area can be used by both teams to snipe enemies down below.
The Village is located between T Spawn and plane. It contains multiple buildings and cars which can be used for cover, making it the least open area of the map aside from tunnels.
Terrorists: Bomb the Truck or the Crashed plane.
Counter-Terrorists: Prevent the Terrorists from bombing.
Storyline: In a heavy snowstorm a plane carrying a top secret load gets in trouble. The onboard guard has parachuted to safety. They recover the crashed plane and start unloading the cargo into a captured truck. But the weather plays a second trick as heavy snowfall prevent the SWAT team from getting the entire cargo over to the truck.
Terrorists have tracked the plane as well and, in an attempt to prevent the SWAT Team from escaping with their valuable load, they set a plan to bomb the two possible locations of the load.
- Bots may fall down to their deaths in the canyon located between the Terrorist Spawn Zone and Bombsite B. This is possible due to one of the bridges in canyon has a false appearance of being stable. When stepped on, the middle will collapse and result in severe damage or death.
- From the high point to the bottom, the character will receive about 80 fall damage, leaving them easy to take out.
- Interestingly, if the bridge has already partially collapsed, bots who are attempting to cross are able jump over with ease most of the time.
- To prevent getting fooled, look carefully on the color differences between the one that can be broken and the other that will not break. The breakable bridge is often brighter than the one that cannot break. To save bots from falling, destroy it by shooting it before bots will cross it.
- Nearby the Terrorist spawn zone, there is a frozen river with a breakable ice covering that contains hazardous icy water that harms anyone who tries to swim in it. In fact, the ice above the water looks stable and can fool players who attempt to walk on the frozen pond.
- If the bomb is dropped in the icy water and bots are present on the map, some may attempt to retrieve the bomb and usually they end up dying.
- Players will lose 5 health points for each 0.5 second spent inside the river.
- Furthermore, if you fall into the icy water, the Gas mask HUD icon will appear above your health. This is odd however, since the Gas Mask icon is used when the player is damaged by it and the fact the icy water is not gas. It might be because Valve has mis-implemented icons where ice icon would be more logical, which for some reason is used for drowning instead of "0²" which is correctly used in Half-Life.
- In the village, there is a crate in the tower that reads "The Only Crate In The Map!"
- This is a direct reference to the abundance (or overuse) of crates as easy cover/platforms in most GoldSrc maps.
- Another Easter egg can be found in the village. By shooting at a red brick wall, the map credits can be seen.
- Another Easter egg can be seen with the black and red van, which is a copy of the van use in the A-Team.
- Many vehicle on this map feature vehicle from real life instead of taking vehicle from Half-Life's. Those vehicle are:
- First Generation Mercedez-Benz M class. Two of them are parked in the village while another is at the T-Spawn with rear illumination and hazard light on (strangely neither low beam and hazard light are turned on at front). Suggesting that the said vehicle was stuck in the snow and abandoned.
- Eighth Generation Toyota Corolla. Two of them are parked in the Village. The black one appears to be a station wagon but with Australian Sedan front. The white one is a Australian version of Sedan.
- Volkswagen Transporter (T4). Only one is featured at village. This one appears to have bumped into a lamp pole with it's engine still running. As the lamp pole isn't upright.
- 1977 Mack Super-Liner. Bombsite B target.
- The airplane reads "Oops Air" with the slogan "no guarantees", humorously added by the map creator to show that the company meant it.
- An eagle can be seen soaring above the ravine. It cannot be shot down.