“The XM1014 is a powerful fully automatic shotgun that justifies its heftier price tag with the ability to paint a room with lead fast.”
In all games, it is the most expensive shotgun option, at $3000 in earlier games and $2000 in Global Offensive. This makes the shotgun less viable as an eco option, but it is still cheaper than other weapons in Global Offensive. It also has a high kill reward ($900) in Global Offensive, making economic recovery easier.
Compared to the pump-action shotguns, it has a higher rate of fire due to being automatic. The player can hold down the firing key to fire it repeatedly. Having a high rate of fire also means that recoil becomes a meaningful factor that the player needs to control in addition to spread.
Balancing out its superior fire rate is its lower per-shot power. Being a shotgun, it still has high damage at close range, but it has less pellets per shot compared to other shotguns (6 vs. 8 in Global Offensive) and more pellets need to land in order to kill in one shot.
The weapon is lightweight in earlier games, but is made much heavier in Global Offensive.
The reloading process involves individually loading new shells into the weapon's loading port. It is possible to interrupt the reload and fire mid-reload by pressing the primary attack key during the reload.
|Counter-Strike: Global Offensive|
|Chest & Arm||20||16|
|Per pellet hit, each shot contains 6 pellets.|
|Counter-Strike, Condition Zero and Source|
|Chest & Arm||114||57|
|*All pellets hit (GoldSrc)|
|Movement speed in hammer units per second|
|Counter Strike: Global Offensive||Counter-Strike, Condition Zero and Source|
- As with any shotgun, aiming for the head is the best method for scoring instant kills.
- Although available to both sides, the slower movement speed of the XM1014 in Global Offensive makes it more suited to the CT side on Bomb Defusal (Or T side on Hostage Rescue.) who don't have to move around constantly and can take full advantage of defensive positions.
- Take advantage of the XM1014's fire rate and damage output in tight chokepoints and crammed spaces. Even against groups of enemies.
- Though it can empty it's magazine quickly, it reloads quite fast and can still interrupt it's reload by firing.
- In Global Offensive, the XM1014 is still extremely effective, even against armor, out to mid range.
- But keep in mind it's impractical to engage targets outside the weapon's comfortable one-to-two-hit kill range where the weapon's spread and disadvantage of only shooting six pellets become much more apparent.
In the Tour of Duty, the Leone YG1265 Auto Shotgun kill challenge appears in:
|Hard / Expert||Kill 5 enemies|
The following bots use the Leone YG1265 Auto Shotgun as their main weapon:M249 may buy the Auto Shotgun if they do not have enough money to buy the machine gun.
The Leone YG1265 Auto Shotgun is used by both Counter-Terrorists and Terrorists in every level of the game. NPCs wielding this weapon usually runs up close to their enemies before shooting to maximize weapon effectiveness. The player usable shotgun, compared to its multiplayer counterpart, has less recoil and tighter spread, but also lower damage. The Auto Shotgun appears in the following levels:
- Lost Cause: Shortly after entering the compound, the player will enter a room with the shotgun on a table.
- DrugLab: In front of a crate in the cave near the beginning of the level.
- Downed Pilot: In the hidden area with the T-90. The shotgun is lost when the player is captured, but another Auto Shotgun will be in the second room the player enters after getting out of their cell.
- Rise Hard: Shortly after infiltrating the skyscraper, the player finds a desk next to two vending machines, under which is the shotgun.
- Run!: While running from the pursuing Akunin, the player falls through a skylight and into a small warehouse. On the side of the room opposite of where the player falls, there is a fence with a boarded-up hole, and beyond that, several explosive barrels. Destroying these gives access to a leaking stack of chemical barrels, next to which is the shotgun.
- When the player jumps while firing, the muzzle flash may not sync properly. For example, if the player will appear to have fired two shots, even through the player fired only one shot.
- In 1.6, when drawing the XM1014, the player's view will clip through the gun and see a shotgun shell inside it.
- In Condition Zero, the XM1014 clips through the player's left hands when the user is in crouched position in third person.
- The name XM1014 was the designation for the shotgun when it was still under testing by USMC (prototype weapons or weapons undergoing field trials are typically denoted with an X in front of their designated name). In 1999, USMC adopted the weapon for service, thus the "X" was removed and the weapon was designated the M1014.
- This weapon was originally called the Benelli M4 Super 90.
- Despite being labeled as fully automatic in the game description, it is actually semi-automatic. The player's character can be seen pulling the trigger after each round is fired, even if the mouse is held down.
- The XM1014 is modeled after the Military/Law Enforcement variant, which correctly has a 7 round capacity.
- Considering in-game that the XM1014 shoots only six pellets per shot , it's presumably loaded with Triple-Aught (Or #000) Buck. Which realistically has greater stopping power and a tighter grouping than Double-Aught.
- The XM1014 has lower firepower than the M3, even though both of them are stated to have the same muzzle energy.
- The stock of the XM1014 is extended in the older games. In Source and Global Offensive, the stock is collapsed.
- In Counter-Strike 1.6 and Condition Zero, players hold the XM1014 on the hip. However in Source, players will aim this shotgun on the shoulder like the other weapons.
- The XM1014 in Source does not share ammo with the M3, despite both shotguns using 12 gauge.
- The XM1014’s bolt only ejects the shell after firing in the GoldSrc Counter-Strike games.
- Originally in Left 4 Dead, the Auto Shotgun used unmodified firing sounds from the XM1014, in Left 4 Dead 2, the XM1014 is renamed as the Tactical Shotgun and the weapon is slightly different from the XM1014 in Source.
- The XM1014 one of the few weapons whose drawing animation does not involve "cocking" or "cycling" the gun. This likely due to the fact that the XM1014 is not pump-action, and the player is never seen operating the manual cycle located on the right side of the gun.
- Benelli M4 at Wikipedia.